Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Jan 12th Scorching Hunter Valley


Today was probably the toughest bike ride I have ever done, it was certainly the hottest! I got the train from Newcastle to a town called Maitland, from which it was 38km to the hostel I was staying at in the Hunter Valley wine region, arriving at Maitland around 11:30 am the temperature gauge there read 37 degrees, apparently 1 and a half hours later as I was sweating my way up a hill the temperature peaked at 40 degrees which is well over 100 degrees F, I stopped off at a few wineries, but only at one of them tried any wine, the rest were just to refill my water bottle, the Hunter Valley fudge factory certainly provide a much needed sugar boost! Somehow I made it to most hostel and that evening was even crazy enough to cycle another 12km to see a few sights and go grocery shopping, although it had cooled down a bit by then. Later on that evening when I went to get a shower I noticed 2 pin pricks of blood on my shin, didn’t think much of it at the time, but a few days later I found out that I had been bit by a spider albeit a not too dangerous one, anyway I am now officially arachnophobic!

No comments:

Post a Comment