Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Jan 10th Woolongong and a Chinese rescue!


Took a train 90km South of Sydney to Wollongong, the train journey is one of the most spectacular in Australia as for about 20kms of the journey it runs on the edge of a cliff with mountains on one side and the ocean down below on the other!

Once in Woolongone had a little cycle around it before heading north and cycling 35km alongside the stunning coastal and mountain scenery.

The end of my cycle was cycling across an amazing bridge built out away from the cliffs over the Pacific ocean, built a few years ago as the old road became to dangerous due to falling rocks from the cliffs!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Cliff_Bridge

Unfortunately just after crossing this bridge and only 1km away from the station where I was going to catch a train back to Sydney my chain snapped. A nice Chinese couple along with the mans visiting father, that I had asked directions from just moments before, stopped and offered me a lift to the station, they had a 4 wheel drive with plenty of room for the bike, once arriving at the station and finding out it was 45 minuets till the next train, they offered to carry on and give me a lift to a nearer station that had more frequent services, then upon finding out I was staying near the Sydney harbor bridge, offered me a lift all the way back to the hostel as his father wanted to have a drive over the harbor bridge! It was a fantastic bit of luck to have after having the bad luck of my chain snapping!

No comments:

Post a Comment