Monday, September 7, 2009

DAY 24 – ON YER BIKE



Took the Train out of Perth to about 70km South of the city and started my Bike tour to Bunbury a distance of about 125km that I would ride over 2 days.

Leaving Mandura there was stunning scenery as I cycled past the multi million dollar homes on the canals thenI soon arrived on the coast of the Indian Ocean and followed it for about 10 km, crossed a bridge with incredible views of the estuary and then followed the estuary for at least another 10km.

During a rest break I met Bortz a huge 14 month old St Bernard who still wasn’t quite fully grown, I walked a St Bernard dog regularly when I was about 14 so it was great to meet him and play tug of war with his rope just like I used to do over 15 years ago.

Cycling onwards I took a detour to stop at a winery but was greeted by a not so friendly dog who chased me on my bike and snapped at my heels, the dog seriously needed to drink some of it’s owners wine to chill out!

I arrived at my accommodation for the night after only cycling about 50km, much earlier than I thought as it was located further up the highway than it was marked at on Google maps, this was not a good thing though as it would leave a much longer distance to cycle the next day.

It was a pub in the middle of nowhere and was expecting it to be a sleepy quite little pub, I was wrong upon walking in the bar at 6:15 during happy hour it was packed with the locals desperately trying to get as many drinks as poss during happy hour to receive a raffle ticket, where the lucky winner would get a shot of winning $1600 if they picked the Ace of Spades at random. The jackpot had built up over 16 weeks so I was prepared to literally get on me bike if I had won as I would not have been popular! As it happened my ticket didn’t come out the hat and the person’s who did, didn’t pick the ace of spades so the Jackpot rolls over to $1700 next week.

I had a great night meeting some great local characters, mostly farmers from the surrounding area. They even had a local band playing live. After a few too many beers I retired to bed hoping I could sleep it off for the long day cycling ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment